Entry Requirements for Undergraduate Programme
Admission is through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board either by Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) or Direct Entry (DE). All eligible candidates must possess the stipulated University minimum academic requirements for admission, which is West African School Certificate (WASC) or its equivalent, with credit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry in not more than two sittings and must have passed the University Post UTME screening examination.
Direct Entry (DE)candidates must be Registered Nurses (RN) with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria. Candidates holding the Advanced level General Certificate of Education (GCE) with passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, in not more than two sittings are also eligible to apply. Such candidates are expected to have satisfied the O’ level requirements of five credit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry in not more than two sittings and passed the university screening test. First degree holders in health related disciplines are also eligible to apply.
DE candidates admitted into the four year programme may be required, where applicable, to take specified courses to make up for deficiencies found in their academic background.
Entry Requirements for M.Sc Programme.
Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who have obtained the appropriate degree of Bachelor in Nursing (B.Sc. or B.N.SC) with at least second class honours or it’s equivalent. Candidate must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (N&MCN) as a registered Nurse and have a current license to practice in Nigeria. Other selection considerations include Grade Point Average of not less than 2.5 on a 5 point scale or its equivalent, availability of supervisors, areas of special need, and applicant’s submission of all application requirements as in PG school admission guideline.
Entry Requirements for Master’s/Ph.D Programme
▪ A candidate with Master’s degree with GPA of 4.0 on a 5 – point scale from a related Department/discipline who wishes to do a Ph.D work in Nursing, he/she must be admitted for Masters/Ph.D degree programme.
▪ Candidates must have five credit passes in English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at O’Level.
▪ Candidates must have Bachelors Degree in Nursing from an approved University with CGPA of 3.5 on a 5 – point scale.
▪ Candidates with professional Master’s in Nursing with a GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale will be eligible for admission into Master’s/Ph.D programme.
Entry Requirements for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing
Candidates for Ph.D admission must satisfy the following conditions:
- All candidates for Ph.D admission must havefive credit passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology at O’Level
- Candidates withBachelorsdegree in Nursing from a recognized University must obtain a minimum of Second Class Upper Division with a CGPA of not less than 3.5 on a 5 point scale or its equivalent.
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized Universities who have obtained the degree of Master in Nursing, or a related discipline with a minimum of 4.00 Grade Point Average on 5 point scale provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the degree programme. The dissertation score should not be lower than 60% (B).
- Candidates must demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials.